We took the train from Millbrook into Grand Central Station, which is always a treat. I love the color of the walls and all the light fixtures. Grand-tastic.
At Grand Central Station. Excuse the fact that we took turns taking pictures. These will be single person shots.
Then we walked into over to the New York City Library. It was amazing. I had never been inside, only seen the outside before and I would recommend going into the main reading room. The ceilings are beautiful. Outside the Library with the Chrysler in the background. We also stopped in there to check out the art deco lobby. I love the Chrysler building!
Of course we had to walk through Times Square again. My Dad is the cutest.
We walked down 5th Avenue and stopped outside Macy's to eat a hot dog and did a little window shopping. Macy's is such a cool place. It's so old and tasty.
The Guggenheim is right next to Central Park so we got to explore a park of the park I had never seen. Here is our view from the top of Belevdere Castle. Dad adorableness alert.
Remember that whole single person shot thing. Yeah. Here is my turn. It is such a great view it must be displayed twice. Love that skyline.
Stopped by the Friends fountain aka Bethesda Terrace on the way out of the park. I'll be there for you...hum hum hum huuuum hum.
Next we went over to the Rockefeller center and got some Macaroon on the recommendation of my Sister-in-law, Chef Morgan (she is actually a chef, not tongue in check here). I will be craving those for forever now.
Stopped inside St. Patrick's cathedral and gazed at the Atlas Statue across the street.
Cruised past the jewelery exchange on the way back to the train - all the orthodox Jews and jewelry were headed home when we got there. Bummer.
Best daddy daughter date ever/1st daddy daughter date. Either way it was the best! We headed home to relieve my poor mother.
The next time we were in the city was the day before we flew out and we were all together this time around. We mostly hung around the South Street Seaport and Civic Center area since, neither of us had spent a lot of time in this area.
We first drove across the Brooklyn Bridge before parking. Forgot to get a picture, whoops!
The architecture was intense in this area. The Municipal building is an example. We, of course, ate a hot dog outside this building. Hot dog count: 3.
Outside City Hall.
Also, in the area, was St. Paul's Chapel, the oldest church in Manhattan. Across the street was where the twin towers stood. It is always a little eerie being down here, especially with my mother who knew people that were lost in the tragedy.
Then we walked to Trinity Church. Behind Jakob is Alexander Hamilton's grave. Jakob and him have a special bond now since he danced on his grave stone. Jakob will now be destined for greatness.
Lastly, we headed over to wall street and saw the stock exchange building and checked out Federal Hall which, was where George Washington was inaugurated. Pretty cool.
We flew home the next day and my parents were so helpful with Jakob on the flight. My mom let him sprawl all over her so he could take a nap. My parents are the best.
I just have to get one last thing off my chest:
We spent 1.5 days of intense foot killing tourist viewing joy. I had hoped this would statisfy any lasting thirst for New York City but, at the end of the trip, I just didn't get that satisfcation. Why New York? Why? Why do you have tobe the best? Why do you have to torment all of us this way? I know you have your flaws and heaven knows I have tired to forget you. But, you, you are unforgetable. And when I hear that Adele Song "Someone Like You", I will think of you.
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded,
That for me it isn't over.
Never mind, I'll find someone like you.
That's right New York. I will just have to replace you with my own pseudo-city. My "less-than" city. I hope you are happy, heart breaker. No matter where I go or what I do, you will be there, calling to me, reminding me of what I already know. That you are the best and the orginator of the I Love New York t-shirt. You will be there reminding me of my roots and we know that I can't stay away so......
See you a couple years. You turd. I love you.

4 comments:
What a great entry. LOVED LOVED LOVED the Dad pictures. Love you!
So much jealousy. So very much.
Side note: the ball of energy stage will fade. Douglas can now get out of his car seat and stand next to the care politely until I'm ready to go! (Not always, but enough times to tease me.)
Great pics, Rachel!
Rachel, you never cease to amaze and delight. Thank you for loving my city in my state. I know what you mean, I am homesick every single day - must be because our ancestors were the first settlers of Manhattan island! You are an amazing writer and incredibly clever. Love you!
Post a Comment