Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Catalina Island

I love groupon. I love a good deal. Groupon should pay me to advertise for them, I love them so. Groupon, hire me.
So, I bought two tickets to Catalina Island on groupon. The expiration date was creeping up on me and I was getting nervous. Fortunately, Sean got shingles. Yes, I did just say fortunately. Shingles: a two edge sword. It hurts like hell but the Pediatric wards won't let you work in them. So, Sean had the week off during which he got a lot of work done. At the end, Sean was able to take a day off so we could go to Catalina.

We got there early and enjoyed some donuts while we waited to board the boat.


Jake after eating his donut holes, stole my donut. You can see my feelings on the matter.


Eventually, my maternal instinct took over and I shared my food.


We left from Balboa Island, which is always beautiful.


We entertained ourselves on the boat ride by making funny faces....


swabbing the deck.....

 
And cuddling Sean.


The island is in the left corner. And might I say, what cute boys I have there.


After a hour and half, we made it. Just waiting to get off the boat here.


Avalon is the largest city, roughly 4,000 people. Only 300 people or so live elsewhere on the island

You can see the casino in the background, which is the most famous structure on the island. By casino they mean, no one ever gambled there. Cool looking building though. We went and checked things out around the casino but, apparently, they charge you $40 to go inside. No way. Not unless there is a groupon deal.
There isn't a ton to do on the island. It reminded me of California in the 50's. Very few cars are allowed on the island so, people get around by golf cart, bike or walking. We opted for walking.


We got some fish and chips, which I would recommend.
 We asked the waitress what things she suggested doing. She suggested taking the 20 minute walk up to the Wrigley's memorial. We took off while Jakob was napping, thinking this was the perfect set up.

One hour later we arrived. The waitress's miscalculation (more like 60 minute uphill walk) left us with a variety of emotions. One of them being fatigue..


The other? Finger pointing anger! It was alright though. Sean was cracking me up the whole time up. Everything is funnier when you can barely breathe.


What do you do when you reach the top after a hour workout? A super nerdy jump kick! The only way to celebrate properly.

View from the top. A couple of nice souls gave us a lift back to town and saved our feet. People are a lot nicer when you are holding a cute toddler. 


Then we hung around the shops and waterfront and let Jake run wild since there were no cars to kill him.


It was a very relaxing trip and we enjoyed it. Thank you shingles. Thank you.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Way to go on the hour long trek! I HATE when your expectations are that it's going to be short - and it ends up being exhausting. Great pics Rach! I'm proud of your documenting skills - look at you. Awesome post! I loved the picture of Jacob stealing your donut, and of him swabbing the deck. Your sense of humor kills me.

So glad that Shawn is void of shingles! I'm excited to see your post about your New York trip!!

Will I be seeing you at the park tomorrow? We'll be there :)

Heather said...

Sorry this is Heather - you probably knew that. Dang, do that all the time.

miccolene said...

my favorite line: "let Jake run wild since there were no cars to kill him."

you are the best. horray for shingles.

Brookle said...

Man! I might need to stop reading your blog. It makes me miss you too much. You are so funny and I miss your humor in my life.

Fortunately Sean had shingles. Sorry Sean. That's rough. Especially because it meant that you were finally able to catch a break...if it takes shingles to do that, I'd say life is pretty crazy.

I, like you, Rachel, LOVE groupon and think they should pay me as well for all the referring I do...and I mean more than just the $10 referral for first time users. I bring in SO much business! :)

Well I love you. I love the post. Perhaps I should post more. It'd be much more interesting if I had a baby. I should ponder that!

Brooke

Sean, Rachel, and Jakob said...

Brookie - Do not stop reading! I like hearing from you. I miss you too and would like to meet your husband someday. He seems like a cool guy. I wonder if people ever see these comment backs?? Anyways, baby soon?! Exciting news. Also, do you have a blog? If so, what is the address?

The peanut butter thing sounds like something I would do. I loved that class and would not miss it for anything. Also, I had no idea what food was actually mine, making me the worst room mate. So funny.

Leanne said...

iiiiit's official. I laughed out loud the entire time I read this post. Is is too much to request daily blog updates from you?